Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Outdoor Challenge #1

We've decided to start the Outdoor Challenge with HarmonyArt Mom this year. So for the first Challenge we went for a walk in our new backyard here in the NW. It's nearly 5 acres so we started with just the garden closest to the house. Missy Moo (age 21 months) was excited to discover fresh blueberries on some bushes! She ate the right up, reminding me of Little Sal from Blueberries for Sal. Zoom (age 8) pointed out his discover of huckleberry bushes growing up out of the stumps of old trees! That was really neat because I had no idea what they were and he'd learned about them at nature camp. We decided that we would research more about that plant. It turns out we have A LOT of it on our property. I'm hoping to make some huckleberry jam in the near future. I saw a tree with bright red berries on it that looked like a cross between a raspberry and a cherry. I wonder what that tree is. I feel pretty ignorant. I'm going to look that tree up too. My gut says it's a dogwood, but I could be totally off.

It was really fun going out there with a focus to observe and then to share what we found. Much different than just going out and playing in the yard, but equally fun.

1 comment:

Barb said...

What a wonderful nature blog! You have so many great things to explore and learn about right in your own backyard. (Love the sticky monkey plant)

I am so glad you decided to join us in the challenges. I look forward to more in the future.

I fixed your link on Mr. Linky. When you put in your link, make sure it is to the specific blog post for that challenge and not to your blog in general. (Email me if you need help figuring that out.)

Welcome and thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom